Monday, March 11, 2013

Georgia Police Arrest Man for Trespassing In Church Parking Lot After They Pull Him Over Because He Was Recording Them And Asking Questions




So what happened in court? Here is an email from Ogiba describing his court experience.
"So im the very last case to be heard, and the only one with the citing officer there to prosecute. I plead not guilty to both charges and the officer testifies first explaining what happened then I testify telling the judge this all occurred on private property. After testimony, the officer uses the dash cam video just as you said they would. There video is like 4 and a half minutes long, and the first 3 minutes nothing really happens.. besides the officer asking for my license and writing the ticket, I think everyone was getting bored, the judge started rolling his fingers on the desk lol. After the video, the officer throws a huge curve ball, trying to justify the arrest for protecting his safety. He says he had a camera pointed at him during the stop (which I did, but for a combination of like 30 seconds for the whole stop). He also tells the judge when he was walking back to his vehicle he had his back to me and that in the modern world guns are small and cameras can be perceived as one. I rebutt and say at no point in the video does the officer draw any concern for his safety towards me and he had no problem with me recording him. They also editted the dash cam video they showed the judge, it was missing 3-4 minutes & they turned the audio off when they were talking to each other at one point after I was arrested and in the backseat of his patrol car (When the officer asked the other one if they really could arrest me) The judge then takes a couple minutes and thinks. He said he will find my guilty on the loud music because of the officers testimony and consistencies in his story. I knew going in the loud music was going to be a losing battle because the statute is incredibly vague and capricious & that this is city court, they want revenue. I asked the officer if he used any device to measure distance or sound, and he did not but under the statute all the officer has to do is testify to this and its a done deal, there is no independently verifiable evidence needed – equivalent of a cop citing someone for speeding with no radar gun. Now on the big one, the obstruction charge. The first words out of the judge’s mouth was “it was really close”, but he finds me not guilty. He explains about how hard a cops duty is and that I was “confrontational” but not “belligerent”. When he says this im thinking, well I guess the first amendment is weak to this judge and I think about all the supreme court disorderly conduct cases where people have sworn at the police and have been acquitted. At this point I can tell the judge bought a little into the safety bullshit the officer tried to bring up. The judge then says how it was close, but he will find me not guilty."

Was the cop in any danger? Do you think that city court system is corrupt? Should police be required to provide proof in court that you broke some sound ordinance? Why do you think the judge was on the cops side? Let me know your answers in the comments below.

0 comments: